Pilot Pen Live Blog: Caroline Wozniacki Advances to Saturday’s Final

On the Baseline Tennis News
8.22.08



NEW HAVEN, Connecticut—Friday afternoon’s semifinal match-up on Stadium Court played out in front of 5,162 fans, and proved to be a tough battle for 18-year-old Alize Cornet of France as she fought to keep up with Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki.

The two first met on a tennis court at age 11, and have grown to have similar playing styles. As the two baseliners engaged in a series of long rallies, Wozniacki seemed to push Cornet deeper into a losing position. Playing with an injured quad muscle, Cornet was trailing in the first set, and by 5-4, frustration had set in.

She tried to establish a rhythm, but it was clear that Wozniacki was in control of the ball. “I was just fighting today,” said Wozniacki. “I was serving pretty well, especially in the first set. I just took one ball at a time, and it just paid off.” Wozniacki went on to take the 1st set 7-5.

Cornet clawed her way back in the 2nd set to 3-0, but couldn’t hold onto the lead. She was serving at 4-5 and failed to win any points in the final game of the 2nd set, handing over the match to Wozniacki 7-5, 6-4. “If you want to win against Caroline, you have to play at 100%,” said Cornet.

Her quad injury was not a factor in today’s loss, but admitted to feeling jetlagged and exhausted from the Beijing Olympics.

Wozniacki is thrilled to be playing in tomorrow’s final, which could earn her a 2nd WTA title and push her into the top 20. “It’s been a really good month for me. I won my first WTA tournament in Stockholm and I went over to the Olympics and lost in the 3rd round to Dementieva. It was a great experience for me at the Olympics,” said Wozniacki. “Now, I’m in the finals again.”

Going forward, Wozniacki says “I feel confident and comfortable. I’m playing Ahsha Rolle in the first round of the US Open. She had a good US Open last year, and I know that people will support her there. She’s a tough player. She has a really good forehand and a good serve, so for me it’s about erasing her weapons and trying to play my game.”

Cornet is looking forward to taking a few days off to rest before facing another French woman (Camille Pin) in the first round of the US Open.

In doubles news, Kveta Peschke and Lisa Raymond defeated Russian duo Anastasia Rodionova and Galina Voskoboeva 6-1, 6-0 on Stadium Court. They will play Sorana Cirstea/Monica Niculescu in the final on Saturday.

In Friday evening’s semifinal match, Anna Chakvetadze defeated 29 year old Amelie Mauresmo 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, squashing Mauresmo’s hope for a chance at the title. Chakvetadze will take on Wozniacki in a much-anticipated Saturday afternoon final.

1 comment:

RUN WITH THE WAVE said...

Visit my website at www.runwiththewave.com